Posted On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 09:01:31 AM
A n ugly spat between the state government and a private contractor has resulted in locking down of hundreds of applications at the Caste Certificate Validation Office in Yerwada for the last five months.
The government had hired Hanshuja Technologies, Mumbai for verification and preparation of caste certificates through its scheme Setu. The government had given the charge of office to the firm.
About five months ago the Caste Certificate Validation Committee dismissed the contractor owing to delay in submission of applications by him.
|Applicants and parents are visiting the Caste Certificate
Validation Office everyday
The committee had sealed premises and locked the office doors. Later, the contractor’s men returned to the office and put another lock on the door a month ago. As a result this has further delayed the process of issuing certificates as the committee can’t break open the door without conducting a panchnama. Now, the door will be opened on Sunday.
Dipak Wadkute, deputy commissioner of the Cast Certificate Validation Committee, told Mirror, “The contractor had not done the work properly. The applications were not submitted on time. The contractor held back the applications for four months.
We issued them a showcause notice and asked them to vacate the premises. When we sealed the office, the contractor put his lock on the doors. Now a huge number of applications are locked inside the office. But it can be opened only after conducting proper panchnama.”
Wadkute added, “We are trying our best to provide the certificates,. But the applicants are getting restless. They are not cooperating with us. It will take some time to search their application.”
Student from backward classes are getting nervous as the date for the admission to various courses is fast approaching. They need to submit the caste certificates while applying for engineering or health science courses.
If the students fail to submit the documents they may fail to get admission to colleges Shilpa Kamble, who has been visiting the office to get the certificate for her son, said, “I had applied along with 12 students from my son’s college in November, 2011. Till now only one certificate has been issued.”
Kamble added, “Though we have the receipts issued through Setu they are not able to trace our applications and documents related to castes’ proof. This is the scene everyday. However, some ‘privileged people’ are allowed inside. They also get to see their applications.”
Ankush Mane, who came from Akluj to get the certificate for his son Sagar studying in a city college, said, “Every trip costs me around Rs 800. Yesterday they made me wait till 8.30 pm. Later they told me that the application , which was submitted in 2010, is not traceable. Now they have asked me to submit a fresh application. After submitting it again, they didn’t give any receipt.”
Meghana Bhagat, a student who applied last year, said, “They are not answering our queries properly and we fear that they have messed up. We may lose a year due to their apathy. Once admission process starts colleges will not entertain us.”