A nice pair of pins (preferably in heels, and little else) often draws more attention than a cleavage does. And if fashion Gods across the world are to be followed, legs are the new waist.
What crop-tops and bolero jackets were to runways a few months ago, mini skirts and cocktail shorts are to the present. Here’s everything you needed to know about getting a leg up on the trend, because it’s no mean feet to get your bottom half to resemble a movie star’s.
It takes a lot of work
Fitness instructor Leena Mogre recommends a combination of weight-training and cardio if you wish to tone your legs. Fifty five minutes of cardio three times a week, and 45 minutes of a lower body workout should give you the legs that you’ve always wanted.
You can also go for short sprints. It’s a good way to burn fat. “When you say legs, it’s your butt, quadriceps, hamstring and calves we are talking about,” Mogre says.
“That’s 50 per cent of your body that you need to keep in shape.”
For flawless knees
Shapely legs and scruffy knees don’t go well. Beauty professional Namrata Soni shares three quick ways to spruce up your knees.
1 Exfoliate: Use a scrub at least twice a week. You can mix brown sugar and honey to make a cheap and easy home-made scrub.
2 Moisturise: Use a moisturiser every day, irrespective of the season. If you are wearing a skirt or shorts, slap some on for an even skin tone.
3 Epilate: Hair removal is a battle. Though expensive, laser is your best option. If you choose to go with waxing, make sure you pick a reputed salon that has a decent standard of hygiene. Since waxing usually lead to ingrown hair, shaving between two sessions of waxing, works well. Hair removal creams do the job without the pain, but the hair is back sooner.
4 Dab on make-up: Mix a pinch of bronzer powder (gold, pink or silver) into your moisturiser, and apply all over your legs. It gives them an instant glow. Use a good concealer to cover any blemishes.
What to dress your legs in
Stylist Tanya Ghavri gets out her bag of wardrobe tricks.
• Legs and height: If you are reasonably tall, a good pair of skinny jeans should do the trick. If you have a lean, tall frame, invest in a pair of palazzo pants. If you are short, nothing works like a good pair of high-waisted shorts.
• Mask knobby knees: The boot cut is back in a big way, and it’s a great solution for unseemly knees, since unlike skinny jeans, it leaves room around your knees. You can also try 1950s-style dresses and skirts that end just below the knee, if you are tall.
• Hide heavy thighs: Wear a smart shirt over a well-fitted pencil skirt for the sexy office-look that takes the attention away from your thighs.
• Conceal cellulite: Picking skirts and shorts with interesting prints is the way to go. It’s a distraction technique that works.
This is what we mean
• Bipasha Basu
Her legs defy everything — age, laws of physics and the lord’s wishes — to remain the way they’ve been since Basu hit adolescence. Full marks to the dedicated workouts she makes time for to keep herself looking smouldering. The caramel skin is an add-on.
• Deepika Padukone
Her latest release, they say, has three main attractions —actress Diana Penty’s waif frame, Saif Ali Khan’s slick production skills, and Padukone’s legs when she saunters in in a
• Jaqueline Fernandez
When Robert Frost wrote, “And miles to go before I sleep,” he probably had Jaqueline Fernandez’ legs on his mind, because they go on like a certain
bunny in a battery ad.
Why do guys dig sexy legs?
• Leggy actress he loves: Deepika Padukone
Legs can drive a man to distraction! Legs are a girl’s best feature because they are always noticed.
- Arunoday Singh, actor
• Leggy actress he loves: Priyanka Chopra
Legs are very attractive in a girl, especially if she’s in a bikini. Is there anything more beautiful than a girl in a short dress?
- Sahil Shroff, model