Posted On Sunday, September 16, 2012 at 10:48:36 AM
Hyderabad : A 10-year-old girl choked to death after a de-worming pill got embedded in her throat at a health camp held at a school in Hyderabad on Saturday.
The deceased, K Khushbu, a student of class 5 at Nallagutta Marwari Hindi School in Hyderabad had been administered the de-worming pill along with other students. Khushbu was the eldest of two daughters.
As she choked on the pill, school authorities gave her water to drink, but she died of breathlessness, said sources at the school. The girl’s body was sent for a post-mortem.
Her parents staged a protest at the school, alleging that the school had given the children pills whose expiry date had lapsed. The school management refuted the charge, saying that the pills were not outdated and no other student had complained of anything.
While a police case of ‘death under suspicious circumstances’ has been registered, pending an autopsy report, the medicines have been sent them for chemical analysis.
The state authorities have announced a compensation of Rs 1.5 lakh to the family of the girl, and said that a departmental inquiry has been ordered into the incident.