Posted On Friday, February 01, 2013 at 08:32:40 AM
New Delhi / Patna: The union cabinet on Thursday approved the amended Lokpal bill that separates Lokayukta in the states from the Lokpal at the centre, paving way for its consideration in Parliament.
|Anna Hazare alleged the UPA did not want to bring a stringent Lokpal bill
The revised bill incorporates a number of changes recommended by the Rajya Sabha Select Committee, including appointment of the director of prosecution by the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC). “We have accepted 14 out of 16 amendments proposed by the select committee.
We did not approve two,” said V Narayanasamy, Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office. The bill will now be put to vote in the Rajya Sabha, and return to the Lok Sabha with the new amendments. However, social activist Anna Hazare, 75, rejected the bill, calling it “farce” and “weak”.
Hazare slams PM, Sonia
He threatened to launch another agitation if the government went ahead with the enactment of the amended bill. “The PM and Sonia Gandhi can no longer be trusted to bring a stringent Lokpal bill to root out corruption,” Hazare said in Patna on Thursday.
According to Narayansamy, the PMO will come under the Lokpal with some riders. “The selection panel for the Lokpal will comprise the PM, Chief Justice of India, speaker of the Lok Sabha, leader of the opposition in the Lok Sabha and an eminent jurist,” the minister said.
Revised bill highlights
• Every state to have a Lokayukta within one year
• All the states will have to pass Lokayukta bill within a year of passing by Parliament
• 14 amendments accepted out of a total of 16 proposed by Standing Committee of Rajya Sabha
• The PM, Leader of Opposition, Chief Justice of India to select Lokpal Public servants will be given a chance to explain before an inquiry
• People affiliated with political parties will not be on the Lokpal panel CBI will be under supervision of the Lokpal
• CBI officers investigating cases under Lokpal will continue to be under the agency and can be transferred without asking the Lokpal